Holiday brand reveals its travel trend predictions for 2017:
- An increase in demand for multi-centre holidays
- A growth in city breaks popularity
- Top five destinations: Vietnam, Cuba, New York, Singapore, Sardinia
As 2016 draws to a close, and people spend the festive season dreaming of the holidays they will take in the New Year, leading holiday company Thomson has predicted the latest travel trends Brits will be adopting in 2017. Following a somewhat unpredictable year, holidaymakers are looking to make the most of their trips, packing more into a typical week-long break whilst looking for ways to make their money go further.
Thomson is predicting that holidaymakers in 2017 will be looking to experience more during their annual holiday, resulting in the rise of the ‘microadventurer’. With a growing emphasis on experiences and people now sharing pictures and memories more often than buying souvenirs, microadventurers are increasingly seeking a trip that lets them embrace the sense of adventure; visiting more than one destination and trying something new.
To meet this demand for microadventures, Thomson is launching multi-centre holidays for 2017 winter via its website using market leading technology with six exotic, long-haul destinations currently on sale – Costa Rica, Cuba, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Goa and our new destination Vietnam. This will be the first website in the UK where customers can design and book their own holiday visiting multiple resorts. In the coming months holidaymakers will be able to book over 40 different multi centre types with more than 1,500 options including Tour & Stay combinations. Thomson is predicting that key destinations for multi-centre holidays will be USA, Cuba, Italy, Croatia, Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Thailand.
Thomson is also expecting a growth in city breaks with microadventurers looking for a shorter break but still wishing to maximise their experience. Destinations such as New York, Las Vegas and Singapore have long been at the top of many bucket lists and are now, with the addition of Thomson’s new city breaks programme for 2017 using its partner scheduled airlines, more accessible than ever before. Thomson expects big demand for US city breaks with more than half of its city break customers expected to book New York, Las Vegas and Miami.
Closer to home, short and mid-haul beach destinations such as the Balearics, mainland Greece and the islands of Corfu and Rhodes will continue to remain firm favourites with Brits, however far flung, long-haul hotspots are again expected to top the wish list in 2017. With more than three-quarters of people (77%) happy to travel more than nine hours to find their perfect break, many more are expected to book exotic holidays in 2017 with Vietnam, Cuba’s Cayo Santa Maria and St Lucia topping the list of predicted ‘hot’ long-haul destinations next year.
Mark Hall, Director of Product at TUI UK & Ireland, said; “2017 promises to be another exciting year for travel. We’ve seen strong demand for our favourite destinations like Spain and Greece but this year we’ve also seen a big trend for ‘microadventurers’ looking for holidays that offer more than just a week on the beach. Our multi-centre and city breaks programmes are catering for this demand and we’re predicting that Brits will be heading to more exotic and relatively undiscovered destinations such as Vietnam and Cayo Santa Maria.”
‘Hot spot’ predictions for 2016:
- Vietnam – The stunning beach island of Phu Quoc, off the coast of Vietnam, is the latest long-haul destination to be added to Thomson’s long-haul line up. Phu Quoc is Vietnam’s largest island and is fringed with white-sand beaches ideal for relaxing, and features dense, tropical jungle and stunning reefs, perfect for intrepid explorers.
- Cayo Santa Maria – Often referred to as Cuba’s best kept secret, Cayo Santa Maria is a truly secluded beach paradise and marks the growth of the Thomson and First Choice programme in Cuba. Just 1.2 miles wide and 10 miles long, the island’s main attraction is its eight mile stretch of white sandy beach. Connected by a 30 mile causeway from mainland Cuba and next to neighbouring resorts of Cayo Ensenachos and Cayo Las Brujas, the hidden gem is located in the Bahía de Buena Vista.
- New York – Possibly one of the most famous city in the world, New York is set to be back at the top of bucket lists across the UK next year. With skyscraping sights, plenty of museums and fashion houses galore, holidays to New York will keep customers wide-eyed from dawn to dusk.
- Singapore – Singapore is one of only five city-states in the world, which means it’s both a city and a country in one. Residents call it the Lion City and this powerful creature symbolises it in many ways. Singapore is an important business hub, with an impressive financial and economic status and is a melting pot of Chinese, Malay and Indian culture.
- Sardinia – The island of Sardinia in the Mediterranean Sea isn’t short of beautiful weather boasting temperatures of around 30 degrees in July and August. Look out for the A list celebs who have been spotted holidaying around glamorous harbour town Porto Cervo, found along the Costa Smeralda, often described as the ‘Emerald Coast’.
– Ends –
NOTES TO EDITORS
To book a multi-centre holiday, visit www.thomson.co.uk/holidays/multi-centre.
To book a city break, visit www.thomson.co.uk/holidays/city-breaks.
To book a Thomson holiday, visit www.thomson.co.uk.
For further information, please contact 01582 642 100 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thomson, part of TUI UK & Ireland, is one of the UK’s most well-known holiday brands, delivering unique and modern holiday experiences for its customers every year.
Its flagship hotels fall under Sensatori – luxury holiday experience featuring world class spas and gourmet dining; Sensimar – offering stylish hotels in beach front locations exclusively for adults; and Family Life, which have been designed for families with younger children, featuring excellent kids’ clubs giving parents a care-free, relaxing holiday.
Thomson is the sister company of First Choice, both using Thomson Airways to take over 5.5 million people on holiday each year.
TUI UK and Ireland is a member of TUI Group.